Is your child having trouble adding or subtracting past 10? This is what you can do at home to help your child:
- Play dominoes (Mexican Train Dominoes have larger numbers). This will help your child see groups instead of counting one by one.
- Play adding war with a deck of cards. It is like the game War except you put down two cards at a time and add the numbers together. Biggest sum wins all cards. Encourage your child to see the group of hearts/diamonds etc instead of counting one by one.
- Use ten frames to show different ways to make numbers.
- Make 10! If you have a problem like 8+4, you can take two from the 4 and add it to 8 to make 10. Then you can add 10+2=12.
- Skip count by 2’s, 5’s, and 10’s to 120. Want a challenge? Start from different numbers
- Play Matching with a deck of cards. Instead of finding the same 2 numbers, turn 2 cards over, add, and if the two numbers equal 10, it’s a match! K, Q, J=10 Ace=1