Jogging to success! We are halfway to our $60,000 goal. Our class is in 2nd place right now! If our class wins first place we will challenge Sr. Pablo and Mrs. O’Leary in the annual Silly String Showdown and earn a class party! Please keep those pledges coming. I look forward to seeing all of you at the Back to School Party & Carnival following the jog-a-thon on Friday, September 16th from 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Please check your child’s folder for more information about games, food options, and festivities.
This week first graders continued to learn routines working to become independent. They practiced printing letters, Daily 5, and addition strategies. In religion, students learned about the virtue and saint of the month. This month they are focusing on practicing the virtue of charity (love God and love others). The saint of the month is Saint Gertrude. The first graders will make saint holy cards each month for saints we celebrate. At the end of the year they will have a special Holy card key chains. Today they learned about the trinity. It is a mystery of our Church and I used an apple to help them understand. They built an apple to show that God is three persons (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) yet one being just like an apple has three parts (flesh, core, peel) but is one apple. The first graders began their unit of study on dolphins. As scientists, they made observations of different pictures of dolphins. They learned that there are many species of dolphins like the Amazon River Dolphin and yes even the Orca (it is actually the largest dolphin in the world!).
First grade students are given a variety of reading assessments in the first weeks of school. Students are given assessments of phonological awareness (rhyming, blending, segmenting), phonics, and fluency. Mrs. McCarthy, our reading specialist, will be in the first grade rooms in the first weeks of school to give students the DIBELS assessment. The DIBELS assesses beginning literacy skills and is used to help determine which students would benefit from participating in her reading intervention groups.
Save the Date
Our first field trip to the Seattle Art Museum will be on Friday, November 18th. We anticipate being gone from approximately 9:30 – 12:00. Please let me know if you are interested in driving/chaperoning.
Questions to Ask
– What is a virtue? What is our virtue for the month of September?
– Who is the saint of the month?
– What is the trinity?
– Please send in headphones and emergency kits if you have not yet done so.
– Blessing of the Backpacks Sunday, September 18th at 10:30 a.m. Mass.
-Star Dolphin for the week of September 12 is Jake!
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– retell a story. RL.1.2
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people
Trinity, Virtue, Saint Holy Card
– We are active learners.
Class Rules, Printing letters and numbers, add with pictures, make dolphin observations
– We are empowered disciples.
Keep our classroom and desk clean, learning how to wash our hands (sing ABC song)