It was a busy week in first grade! Students used scales to learn what the equals sign means in math equations. They are reading up to 10 minutes at a time and now working on writing in their notebooks during Daily 5. First graders ran hard at the Jog-A-Thon. Donations are still very welcome; we are so close to our $80,000 goal. We can do it Eagles!
During the first week of October all first graders will take the MAP test. A parent letter will be sent home next week with more information.
Remember the second box on the weekly homework packet is always optional. This Monday students will begin spelling groups which are leveled according to beginning of the year assessments. Spelling tests will be on Fridays. Students who have pictures and words will be tested on spelling the ten words only. Students who have only words will be tested on ten words from the list. Thank you for practicing at home! If you have questions about spelling homework please let me know. I am happy to help. Remember homework should not take more than 20 minutes per night (including reading).
Field Trip – Save the Date
Please let me know via email if you are interested in chaperoning/driving on our Field Trip on Friday, November 16th for our field trip to the Seattle Art Museum.
Questions to Ask
– What did you like most about the Jog-A-Thon?
– Can you write equations like this? 8=4+4? (Yes!)
-What are two ways to make 5?
– Can you say our Bible verse of the week? (God is love. 1 John 4:8)
-Star Dolphin is Elise for the week of September 24.
-Remember to sign your child’s homework so I know you looked over it before he/she turns it in.
-Volunteers in the classroom will start the second week of October after MAP testing. I will send the Sign Up Genius link for volunteering next week.
-We have an all school mass with our buddies on Wednesday, October 4th at 8:30. You are welcome to join us.
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– retell a story. RL.1.2
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.