First Grade Dolphin News
The first graders are off to a good start! They finished their first full week of school. They learned the school rules and the class rules (1. Show kindness 2. Make good choices 3. Solve problems). The students are becoming independent learners during Daily 5 as they build their stamina and read pictures (wordless books) and words. They worked in their Religion books and were asked “Who is God” through artwork called “Holy Trinity”. The first graders are asking God each morning “What is your plan for me today?” They are saints-in-training as they strive to be like St. Teresa of Calcutta. The students practiced letter formation through Frog Jump Capital letters. Did you know that no letter starts at the bottom? The first graders became scientists as they studied the different kinds of dolphins.
The first graders attended Adoration at church on Thursday. The church is open from 9:00-12:00 every Thursday where parishioners and students can pray before the blessed sacrament (Jesus!). We will do this every week. It is amazing to see their reverence in church.
Run happy! Please continue to send pledges and donations in through September. Thank you for all of your donations, pledges, and school spirit. We are over half way to our school goal of $80,000!!! Our class is in the lead for primary. We can do it! Go First Grade!
Thank you to all the parents who attended Curriculum Night on Thursday. Please look over the file of information you received and email me with any questions.
Field Trip – Save the Date
Please let me know via email if you are interested in chaperoning/driving on our Field Trip on Friday, November 15th to the Seattle Art Museum.
Questions to Ask
-What is the name of your group in class?
-What is one thing you learned about dolphins this week?
-What is Daily 1: Read to self? What do you get to do during this time?
–Back to School Night is tonight 5:30-8:00pm!
– Blessing of the Backpacks Sunday, September 22nd at 10:30 a.m. Mass (can wear free dress)
-Please bring your child’s earthquake emergency kit to school as soon as you can.
– Star Dolphin for the week of September 23rd is Anabelle!
Did you Know?
Kids at this age use tantrums, teasing, bossing, complaining, and tattling to try out relationships with authority; learn best when adults understand but do not excessively tolerate this behavior.
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.