You are the Light of the World! Let your light shine before all that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in Heaven.
-2017/2018 St. John School Theme
Wow! The first graders had a wonderful first week of school. They worked hard to learn the rules of the classroom and new routines of first grade (like having their own desks!). We are diving head first into the new school year!
Today students kicked off the Jog-a-Thon with an all school assembly. We are in for lots of fun! Please check your child’s folder or visit the St. John School website for more information about prizes and pledges. I encourage all of you to do your best for this amazing fundraiser. Families are asked to fulfill their pledge of $100.
- September 6th – Families who reach their $100 pledge/donation earn FREE DRESS.
- September 13th – The class with the most donations gets to choose the 2017 Jog-a-thon theme song!
- Families who pledge $150 will qualify for a Scrip raffle (9/13, 9/14, 9/15)
- Families with over $300 by September 29th qualify students for the ever-popular Cash Grabbin’ Gecko game.
- For every $100 raised per family, your name will be added to a raffle to win a Springfree Trampoline!
- If we reach our school goal of $60,000 all students will receive a Free Dress Day on October 13th.
- Most importantly, the grade that raises the most money gets to take on Sr. Pablo and Mrs. O’Leary in a Silly String Showdown!
The jog-a-thon will take place on Friday, September 15th followed by the Back to School Carnival at 6:00 p.m.
Snack reminder: Please remember to pack a separate water bottle and small, nutritious snack each day for your child. Our classroom is a nut-free zone due to allergies. It would be very helpful to have a water bottle in class that does not screw open to avoid spills!
SLEs (Schoolwide Learning Expectations)
In each weekly newsletter, I will include the School-wide Learning Expectations we are focusing on. Please familiarize yourself with the St. John SLEs as the year progresses.
Here you will find a list of Common Core State Standards first graders are focusing on. Take a moment to check in with your child to assess his/her progress on mastering these standards.
Questions to ask your child
-Can you sing the theme song for the year? (Visit Mrs. Tsagalakis website to listen and sing along!)
-What are morning (BSTly) jobs?
-Can you tell me one of the St. John School rules?
-Please wear the proper shoes for PE on Monday and Wednesday.
-Please send your child with a jacket and water bottle daily.
-Remember to send in comfort kits please.
-Blessing of the Backpacks is Sunday, September 17th at 10:30 Mass.