Sometimes children believe that reading is something that you should know how to do one day and not skills learned with years of practice! Help your child become a reader by reading to, and listening to, your child. You as a reader: Model fluent reading as well as reading like a beginning reader. Think out loud so your child can hear your thoughts.
HOW TO PICK A “GOOD FIT” BOOK
- I can’t read most of the words.
- I have to reread a lot.
- I read the story too slowly.
- I can’t retell what I read.
- There are no tricky words.
- I read without having to think about it.
- I read the story too fast.
- I can read almost all of the words.
- I think about the story as I read it.
- I read the story at my own pace.
- I can retell the story in my own words.