The first graders were amazing at Mass Wednesday. They sang, responded, rang bells, and greeted the school with an outstanding first all school liturgy. This week students continued to learn and practice addition strategies like counting on using counters. In Social Studies students discussed and sorted the differences between needs and wants. First graders continued to study nouns and verbs and wrote their own class version of Memoirs of a Goldfish.
Conferences are coming up at the end of October. Each conference is 15 minutes with a 5 minutes passing period in between. Please remember that students are to attend conferences. Families are to schedule conferences during conference week. Send in your pre-conference forms no later than Friday, October 14th. I look forward to meeting with each of you! Here is the link. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080445a5ab23a75-16171
Rosary Making Event
St. John is celebrating October as the month of the rosary with a special rosary making evening. Families are invited to come to Egan Hall Sunday, October 9th at 6:00pm to make their own rosaries. All materials and instructions will be provided.
Here is the link to sign up to volunteer! http://www.signupgenius.com/go/508094ba4ac2ba57-october1 The Sight Word helper is a great value for the students because it allows them to practice reading their words correctly. It takes less than 10 minutes!
Questions to Ask
– What is a verb? A noun?
– How was Mass?
– What is a need vs. a want?
– Star Dolphin for the week of October 10 is Zayden.
– No school Friday, 10/7 for Teacher Excellence Day
– Individual student picture day is Tuesday, 10/11
– Conference forms due Friday, 10/14
– Conferences October 26th – 28th.
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.