First Grade Dolphin News
It was a great week in first grade! Students put forth their best effort during MAP testing. They learned how to be better spellers in Word Work and practice their comprehension by checking for understanding when they Read to Someone (Daily 5 choices). In religion, students celebrated feast days of St. Therese, Guardian Angels, and the three Archangels; St. Michael, St. Raphael, and St. Gabriel. Students finished their unit on adding to 10 by making true/false number sentences and found the missing addends. Next Monday they will take their first math test for Chapter 1.
On Wednesday, October 10th we will celebrate St. Francis at our first all school liturgy. First graders are in charge of leading mass with their eighth grade buddies. You are welcome to join us in the church at 9:00 a.m. Please make sure your child is in dress uniform!
The following parents (and one grandparent!) have signed up to volunteer for the Field Trip to the Seattle Art Museum on November 16: Jennifer Bachhuber, Erika Lawrence, Gayle Ogden, Liz Overland, Alan Kidney, Katie Masiello, Robin Vega, and Anna McCarthy.
Thank you to the parents who signed up on the Classroom Volunteer link. If you are interested in helping out, please check my website and see the link First Grade Volunteers.
Thank you to the Lawrences for taking on the room parent job! They will keep you informed of the many exciting events throughout the year.
We need notebooks for our Math Writing time. Please send a single subject, wide ruled spiral notebook to school with your child by Monday, October 8! Thank you!
Questions to Ask
-Is this true or false? 3+5=9, 5+5=10, 3=3?
– What is an engineer?
– Do you know the Guardian angel prayer?
– Star Dolphin for the week of October 8 is Rylie
– Dress uniform Wednesday 10/10 for Mass
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.