The first graders were amazing at mass Wednesday. They sang, responded, and greeted the school with a candle procession. This week students began their unit on addition to 20. They will learn strategies to help them add. This week they learned to count on using counters. First graders will study nouns by using a mentor sentence from the book If You Take A Mouse To School. A mentor sentence is an amazing sentence that I pick out of a picture book that we can study. Mentor sentences help first graders to see how to write sentences correctly with capitals and periods. The students finished their unit on Needs and Wants. They learned that families around the world have different needs and wants. Everyone put forth their best effort during MAP testing. Great job First Graders!
Conferences are coming up at the end of October. Each conference is 15 minutes with a 5 minutes passing period in between. Please remember that students are to attend conferences. Families are to schedule conferences during conference week. Send in your pre-conference forms no later than Friday, October 13th. I look forward to meeting with each of you! Here is the link. Conference Sign Up
Here is the link to sign up to volunteer! https://grade1b.st-johnschool.org/first-grade-volunteers/ The Listening to Reading using iPads helper is a great value for the students because it allows them to practice listening to good reading. The helper then helps with their comprehension by asking questions (who? What happened?).
If you are interested in helping our art parents, we will have art next Thursday, October 12 at 2:00. The art project is set. It is nice to have helpers to set up/clean up. Art with parents will be every other Thursday! Thank you!
Questions to Ask
– How was Mass?
– Show the strategy count on by solving this problem….5+3. (Try other ones where you add 1, 2, or 3)
-What is our virtue for the month? (Reverence)
-Name one thing about St. Francis you learned from watching the movie?
– Star Dolphin for the week of October 9 is Hannah.
– No school Friday, 10/6 for Teacher Excellence Day
– Individual student picture day is Wednesday, 10/18
– Conference forms due Friday, 10/13
– Conferences October 25th – 27th.
-We are all set with volunteers and drivers for our field trip to SAM in November! Thank you!
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.