First Grade Dolphin News
It was a great week in first grade! They learned how to be better spellers in Word Work and practice their comprehension by checking for understanding when they Read to Someone (Daily 5 choices). In religion, students celebrated feast days of St. Therese, Guardian Angels, and the three Archangels; St. Michael, St. Raphael, and St. Gabriel. Students made number bracelets to show the different ways to make 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.
The first graders will take their Reading MAP test on Monday and their Math MAP test on Wednesday. Homework will be light this week (no spelling) due to testing. Here is a link for more information about the MAP tests. https://www.nwea.org/parent-toolkit/
On Wednesday, October 16th h we will celebrate our theme of peace (October fruit of the Holy Spirit) at our first all school liturgy. First graders are in charge of leading mass with their eighth grade buddies. You are welcome to join us in the church at 9:00 a.m. Please make sure your child is in dress uniform!
Thank you to Mrs. Donovan for taking on the room parent job! She will keep you informed of the many exciting events throughout the year.
Volunteers in the classroom will begin on October 14. Mrs. Donovan sent out a Sign-up genius for volunteering times and dates. Remember you need to have your Safe Environment training completed to be able to volunteer for the classroom and field trips.
Questions to Ask
-What is a way to make 9?
– What is the October fruit of the Holy Spirit? How do you show peace at home?
– Do you know the Guardian angel prayer?
– Star Dolphin for the week of October 7 is Niels
-No school Friday, October 11 due to Teacher In-service
– Dress uniform Wednesday, October 16 for Mass
-Movie and Popcorn Party for getting the most laps in primary on Friday, October 18
Did you know…
Sometimes first graders are “poor sports’ or dishonest, and may invent new rules so they can win; cooperative challenge activities take the edge of their fierce need to win individually.
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.