First Grade Dolphin News
We had a great short week of school! The first graders began their unit on Patterns in the Sky. They learned facts about a great star called the Sun. On Thursday, I taught the VIRTUS Safety Lesson. They colored a sheet on boundaries. The students will continue safety with a lesson on Halloween Safety, Fire safety, and Safe Adults next week.
I started a new “project” for the first graders. I noticed many students being bossy to each other so we talked about how we can go with the flow and help each other in kind ways. They made jellyfish because they “go with the flow”. You will notice them hanging in our classroom. Each student has a set of unifix cubes with BOSSY on them. If students are bossy, they need to “turn a cube”. If students don’tturn any cubes, they get stickers for their jellyfish. Once their jellyfish are filled with stickers, they can take them home because they can “go with the flow”. If a student loses all cubes, he or she will write a note home promising to do better.
The students worked on “making 10” to add faster. Next week we will finish the Addition to 20 with a test and begin Place Value. To prepare for this unit, it is important that your children can count by 1’s, 2’s, 5’s, and 10’s to 120.
A HUGE “thank you” to middle school and Mrs. Halley for an incredible Halloween Carnival today. It was lots of fun and great to see the students in costume.
Thank you for the beautiful bouquet of flowers! What a wonderful surprise from a generous class!
I look forward to meeting with you in conferences, remember conferences are in our classroom and your child does attend.
- Discuss the student self-reflection and parent comment form.
- Parent, Student, and Teacher formulate a behavioral and academic goal.
- Parent and Teacher discuss MAP, other test scores, and any concerns or questions.
Field Trip Information
Field Trip permission slips for our trip to the SAM on Friday, November 16th were sent home today. Please sign both sides, send in a labeled envelope with the $10 fee in cash or check (made out to St. John School) and return by Friday, November 2nd. Parent chaperones do not need to pay for themselves. If you are interested in chaperoning we still have room, let me know ASAP!
-Sean is Star Dolphin the week of October 29th
– No School and Conferences: October 29th and November 5th
-Dress Uniform on Thursday, November 1st
– Field Trip to Seattle Art Museum (11/16/18)
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– use observations of the sun, moon, and stars to describe patterns that can be predicted. 1.ESS1.1
– make observations at different times of the year to relate the amount of daylight to the time of year. 1.ESS1.2
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.