Congratulations! We exceeded our jog-a-thon goal. Thank you for all of your hard work and support for St. John School. This week the students learned about prayers of the rosary (Apostles Creed, Our Father). They harvested potatoes, learned about earth’s place in the universe, observed the position of the sun, used adjectives to describe Sheila Rae and themselves, and continued to learn addition strategies. They made giant number lines with sticky notes (coming home soon!).
A special thank you to Mrs. Aguila for helping with the garden and making our potatoes for our potato party so students could taste their harvest.
These are parent, student, teacher conferences. Your child needs to attend. Each conference is 15 minutes with a 5 minutes passing period between. Parents and child will meet with Miss Feeney to discuss the Thinking About Me form and an SLE (Schoolwide Learning Expectation) assessment teachers completed. Students will set a goal for the year and then listen to a story on the iPad while parents continue the conference. Thank you to everyone who has scheduled conferences already!
Questions to Ask
– How was Sheila Rae brave?
– What did you do in the garden?
– What does the earth move around? What moves around the earth?
– Star Dolphin for the week of October 17 is Noelle
– Youth Group Halloween Carnival October 21st 6pm – 7pm
– Conferences October 26th – 28th.
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– use observations of the sun, moon, and stars to describe patterns that can be predicted. 1.ESS1.1
– make observations at different times of the year to relate the amount of daylight to the time of year. 1.ESS1.2
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.