First Grade Dolphins News
It was a busy week in first grade! The first graders took the Reading and Math MAP tests this week and did their very best! In religion, students learned about the saint of the month, St. Francis of Assisi, who is the patron saint of animals and the environment. The first graders also learned about creation. In math they practiced ways to make ten and started to use a ten frame to help them solve addition problems. We also started a new social studies unit on Needs and Wants. The Fruit of the Holy Spirit for the month of October is Peace. First graders get the opportunity to nominate each other to have their name put up on our Kindness tree in the hallway. Next week, reading groups will begin and reading bags will come home each Friday.
Words Their Way Spelling
For the past two weeks, the first graders have been practicing their spelling sorts in class. By sorting pictures and words, students are practicing identifying word and vowel patterns. If your child is sorting pictures, they will be tested on the specific sound pattern, such as word families or digraphs. Students that bring home words will be tested on the vowel patterns and asked to spell the words. There will not be spelling lists sent home, but rather the word and picture sorts. I will choose 8-10 of those words to test on Fridays. If you have any questions about spelling, please feel free to reach out to me.
St. John School will present a sexual abuse prevention program, the Touching Safety program, to our students on October 24th, 2019. The creators of the Protecting God’s Children™ program developed the Touching Safety program. This program is provided to us by the Archdioces of Seattle and is a part of our ongoing effort to help create and maintain a safe environment for children and to protect all children from sexual abuse.
Attached is an opt-out form if you do not want your child to participate in the lesson. Please sign the form and return it back to school in your child’s take-home folder. Thank you!
On Wednesday, October 16th we will celebrate our theme of peace (October fruit of the Holy Spirit) at our first all school liturgy. First graders are in charge of leading mass with their eighth-grade buddies. You are welcome to join us in the church at 9:00 a.m. Please make sure your child is in dress uniform!
St. John School and Parish are very excited to announce a partnership with Unbound-a charity that allows us to directly help children in need. The first grade will sponsor Neil. He is from Lima, Peru and speaks Spanish! He is 7 years old and loves to build with blocks, draw, watch movies with his family, and ride on a motorcycle to school. I attached a photo of Neil. Senora Blanca will incorporate lessons where she will create a class letter in Spanish to send to Neil throughout the year. Every first Friday of the month your child is welcome to bring in a $1 donation and make cards or write letters to Neil. If you have any additional questions, please let me know. Thank you! Your support will help Neil get a wonderful education and new pen pals from Seattle.
Thank to those who have signed up to volunteer in the classroom! Please check in at the office to get a badge before you enter the classroom. Thank you!
Mrs. Dahlgren is still looking for playground volunteers to add to the daily roster of lunch recess monitors. To keep your children safely monitored a total of 5 pairs of eyes, ears and arms are needed at each lunch recess, 11:00-12:15, Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. Grandparents are welcome. Younger children may come with you providing they aren’t a distraction from duty. Please email Mrs Dahlgren if you’re able to help with this valuable ministry, firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Questions to Ask
-What is a way to make 10?
– What do you know about St. Francis of Assisi?
– Do you know the Guardian angel prayer?
– Star Dolphin for the week of October 14 is Kira
-No school Friday, October 11 due to Teacher In-service
– Dress uniform Wednesday 10/16 for Mass
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.