First Grade Dolphin News
We were very busy during this short week! The first graders finished their unit on the moon by making Oreo Moon Phases with their 8th grade buddies, focusing on the four main phases. Check out the sky to see what phase the moon is in the next few weeks. In math, the students have been working on counting tens and ones using place value blocks, unifix cubes, and dimes. In the month of November, the first graders have been practicing being a Saint in Training. To earn their badges, a classmate or teacher can nominate them for showing saint like behavior.
Field Trip Note
Next Friday, November 16th is our field trip to the Seattle Art Museum. Please keep in mind the following to help things run smoothly:
- Send your child to school in his/her DRESS UNIFORM (especially St. John sweatshirts)
- Bring a booster seat (if your child requires one) to the outside of the classroom. Clearly label each booster with your child’s name.
- We will provide graham crackers as a snack to all the children while we are at the museum. If your child cannot eat this for dietary reasons, please send in a small, comparable and disposable snack Thursday, 11/15. Please do not send in anything that requires a spoon.
- Students will eat lunch in the classroom when they return around 12:30. Students will miss hot lunch in Egan Hall. Since this is later than our normal lunch, please be sure your child eats a big breakfast Friday morning.
First graders will complete their first mini research project this month. Students are asked to research and create a prayer card for a saint of their choice. Projects are due Friday the 16th. Please see the “To Do” list in the homework packet for more information.
Here are websites to help you!
Christmas Around the World
In December, the children will celebrate Christmas around the world! They will learn different names for Santa, see countries on a map, color each country’s flag, and discuss how families live and celebrate Christmas around the world. They will end the unit with the annual 1st grade Christmas International Luncheon! If you would like us to celebrate your country of origin, please email me by Wednesday, November 14th.
Questions to Ask
– What are some of the phases of the moon.
– How many tens are in 83? Count 8 dimes. How much is it?
– What is your favorite season? Why?
– The Star Dolphin for the week of November 12 is Adia.
– Field Trip to the Seattle Art Museum is Friday, November 16
– Food drive donations are welcome through November 20th .
-Saint Holy Card is due November 16
– use common nouns, verbs, and adjectives. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.