First Grade Dolphin News
Happy Thanksgiving! This week the first graders wrapped up their unit on Sun, Stars, and the Moon. They made phases of the moon with Oreos and made star constellations on black paper. They finished their unit on addition to 20 using strategies like adding addends in different order and adding 3 numbers using a deck of cards. The holy cards your students created are now part of our prayer time. They are a beautiful addition to the prayer table.
Saints-in-training! This week students trained to be like saints through their actions. We played “act like a saint” in stations to remind us how to be saint-like in our everyday lives.
Pray for the living and the dead like St. Cyprian– Each student wrote names of family and friends and prayed for them.
Clothe the naked like St. Vincent dePaul– Each student made paper clothes for his/her person.
Feed the Hungry like St. Elizabeth of Hungary– Each student decorated two paper muffins.
Build the church like St. Francis-Each student used blocks to build a church.
Teach the faith like St. Patrick- Each student made shamrocks and wrote the persons of the Trinity.
Give to the poor like St. Nicholas – Each student made money and their own chimneys.
I am thankful for each of you and wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Special Advent Note
Please take note of the volunteer times during December. Sight words will begin at 8:30 to allow for primary advent prayer Tuesday – Friday in the kindergarten classroom.
Questions to Ask
-Name a phase of the moon or a star constellation.
-Pick 3 numbers and add them together. What strategy did you use?
-What are you thankful for this year?
-Homework and new spelling words will come Monday, December 2
-Star Dolphin for the week of December 2 is Sloane. Make up days for Star Dolphin will be next week for Max and Vinnie.
-Dress uniform for Mass on November 25
Did you know…
Playground games such as jump rope, four-square, and hopscotch are more popular than team or large group activities, although imaginary play remains strong.
Have a strong sense of right and wrong, and concern for others leads them to sometimes tell adults about classmates’ behaviors (aka tattling).
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– help my class write. W.1.7
– revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– publish my writing. W.1.6
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– understand how words in a story can tell about feelings and the senses. RL.1.4
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– subtract facts within 20. 1.OA.6
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.