First Grade Dolphin News
November is here! First graders welcomed November with All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day. They participated wonderfully at Mass! On November 2, the first graders had a prayer service in the classroom where they prayed for family members who have died. In math, first graders took a test on Chapter 3-Addition to 20. The workbook pages for this unit will come home next week. If there is something your child needs to do to practice a skill, you can use the workbook pages. This week we had safety focus lessons and reviewed Halloween safety, and watched the “Safe Side” video about safe adults.
I look forward to seeing the remaining families at conferences on Monday, remember conferences are in our classroom and your child does attend.
- Discuss the student self-reflection and parent comment form.
- Parent, Student, and Teacher formulate a behavioral and academic goal.
- Parent and Teacher discuss MAP, other test scores, and any concerns or questions.
Please turn in Field Trip Permission Slips ASAP, thank you!
Thanksgiving Service Opportunity: Skagit Valley & make a big meal! Here’s a service opportunity for us, St. John. The Tri-City Food Bank that hosts our kids for the youth migrant camp trip every summer is looking for help on Saturday, November 17 (note date correction). The plan is to leave St. John around 7:30 am, drive to Burlington, help prepare a Thanksgiving meal for some 400 needy people, and return home around 4 pm. Jose, the dynamic leader of the Youth Migrant Project, is looking for anywhere from 5 to 30 volunteers. So we’ll take the first 30 who sign up. It’s bound to be a beautiful and meaningful Saturday. Please email Kristin Kent if you’re interested: firstname.lastname@example.org
State of the School: Don’t forget to go to the State of the Parish this weekend!
The State of the Parish will be shown at all 3 masses the weekend of November 3rd & 4th. School families in order to be eligible for, and remain eligible for Parish Fair Share tuition each family must attend the State of the Parish
Christmas Around the World
In December, the children will celebrate Christmas around the world! They will learn different names for Santa, see countries on a map, color each country’s flag, and discuss how families live and celebrate Christmas around the world. They will end the unit with the annual 1st grade Christmas International Luncheon! SAVE THE DATE: Thursday, December 20th.
St. John sixth graders are collecting food for their annual St. Vincent DePaul food drive. Donations are welcome anytime until November 20. One idea is to have your child earn money by doing extra chores. Then he/she can buy food for the poor.
The fifth graders are collecting any extra candy or candy you don’t want from Halloween to give to the homeless as well.
The 4th graders are collecting items for homeless care kits as well (flyer sent home last week). Your children can bring all these donations to the classroom. Thank you!
Questions to Ask
– What is a saint?
– Name a fact about the sun or moon.
-Who is a safe side adult? Don’t Know? Kinda Know?
– Star Dolphins for next week will be students who did not get 5 days for their star week.
– NO SCHOOL: Monday, November 5th– Parent/Student/Teacher Conferences
– NO SCHOOL November 9th-12th -Fall Break
– Seattle Art Museum Field Trip (11/16)
– use common nouns, verbs, and adjectives. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.