March 27, 2020 (Day #126)
Remember these times are a suggestion, not a requirement. The goal is 1-2 hours of work.
Essential Standards for today
- I can use spelling patterns to help me spell words. Take your spelling test and remember your patterns.
- I can retell stories and understand what they mean. When you read with a buddy or read on your own, check for understanding!
- Read texts and use media to determine patterns in behavior of parents and offspring that help offspring survive. I will read books, listen to videos and fill out a chart to learn about the polar habitat.
8:30-9:00 Morning Message (Video)
Materials Needed: Ocean Log, Lent Path, pencil box
Friday: 5 minutes of silence to remember that Jesus loves us so much, he died on the cross for us.
Dolphin Sharing Corner
Andy working on his spelling word search and reading in his “fort”
Hanna’s reading “fort” and her Unicorn (ur) spelling path
Anastasia’s beautiful St. Joseph coloring
9:00-9:30 Daily 5 Read to Someone or CATCH UP time from the week
This is a fun time to “Face time” a classmate or family member and read together. You can choose from the following ways to read to someone:
- Check for understanding. You share one book and take turns reading it. One reads a page or two and when he is finished the other person “checks for understanding”. This means you retell what happened in the story (who, what, where). Then the other person reads a page or two…
- Fluency Practice: If you have older brothers or sisters, this might be the choice for you. One reads a page out loud showing good fluency (taking breaks for periods, commas, using voice). The other then reads the same page.
- Read 2 different Books: This is perfect if you are facetiming a friend or family member. You both get out good fit books and take turns reading a page or two of your own book.
No reading assignments today!
Break: Go outside, exercise, or dance!
10:00-10:30 Mrs. Jessup’s Zoom Meeting
Check email for link if you want to join!
10:30-11:00 Spelling Test
Materials needed: Notebook, pencil (parent will need spelling list)
You will need to head your paper like we do at school (name, date, number 1-10)
Parent says word, uses it in a sentence, says word again.
When finished, parent corrects it. The score will be recorded on the Weekly Check in form I provided on my website. Under comments, write the score out of 10.
Mrs. Costa and Mrs. Pinsoneault’s Group
Mrs. Jessup’s Group
Miss Brito’s Group
Prayer time: Find a quiet place, turn off lights, and play the song “Mighty to Save”
11:00-12:00 Lunch and Break
12:00-12:30 Quiet Time
You can rest, draw a picture, write in a journal, do a puzzle, or read quietly
12:30-1:00 Social-Emotional Lesson on your BRAIN and growth mindset
Watch the videos below and you are welcome to color the attached (emailed) poster.
Brain Jump with Ned the Neuron: Challenges Grow Your Brain
Your Fantastic Elastic Brain Read aloud: https://issuu.com/little_pickle_press/docs/brain
1:00 Snack, Storytime, and Break
It’s Humphrey Time!
1:30-2:00 Stations of the Cross
You can watch the video or read the reflections written by the 8th graders.
2:00-2:30- Virtual Field Trip
2:30-3:00 Fun Friday
Go outside, play games, bike ride, hike, paint, draw, put together puzzles, plant a seed… etc
Don’t forget to add your spelling score to the form when you turn it in.