First Grade Dolphin News
We had a snowy but busy short week. First graders learned about Chinese New Year and enjoyed their first library day. They discussed this month’s virtue, Cheerfulness, and how they can spread that to others like Saint John Bosco. In math, students continued to learn different strategies to subtract like using doubles.
Supplemental School Work:
In anticipation of potential snow days next week I have listed activities/assignments below that you can have your child work on during the down times between playing in the snow. J
-Label spelling words: noun, verb, adjective
-Color code the sorts on the poem page attached to today’s homework
-Write sentences with two spelling words in them- bonus for three words in a sentence!
-Hunt for words in any book that have your spelling sort pattern
– Practice your sight words.
-When you read with your family use different voices (grandparent, robot, baby shark)
– Make flash cards of addition and subtraction math facts 0-10
-Roll a die and double it. Name the subtraction fact that goes with it.
– Play adding war with a deck of cards.
-Ms. Gudaitis’ math resources: Math Resources
100th Day of School:
As of today, February 25th will now be our 100th day of school. Please still bring your 100-word poster project to school on the 21st.
Valentine’s Day: Valentine’s Day is coming up soon! Signing a name 20 plus times can be a big job for children. You may want to start early so that the activity is fun and not dreaded. I attached a class list to last week’s homework as well as our weekly email to help you. I encourage your children not to bring candy on this day if possible because of the multiple allergies in our class. Thank you!
Questions to Ask
– Name a double subtraction fact.
-What was your favorite part of Library?
– What did you learn about Chinese New Year?
– Sam is Star Dolphin for the week of February 11.
– Dress Uniform for St. Valentine’s Mass this Wednesday, 2/13
– Valentines Day in this Thursday, 2/14
– No school Friday, 2/15 – Tuesday, 2/19 for faculty retreat and mid-winter holiday.
-read first grade words. RF1.3
-use adjectives. L.1.1
-use what I know about phonics to spell new words. L.1.2
-spell first grade words. L.1.2
-sort words into categories. L.1.5
-read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
-read and understand first grade non-fiction. RI.1.10
-tell about the main ideas and details after I listen or read. SL.1.2
-follow rules for discussions, talk with others, and ask questions during discussions. SL.1.1
-speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
-revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– count to 120. 1.NBT.1
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– compare two-digit numbers using <, >, and =. 1.NBT.3
– use manipulatives, pictures, and math strategies to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5