First Grade Dolphin News
This week was short, sweet, and slushy! The first graders enjoyed sharing snow day stories with one another and celebrating St. Valentine’s Day with fun math, heart artwork, and exchanging cards. They continued to learn different subtraction strategies like doubles and make 10 to subtract.
100th Day of School:
As of today, February 27th will now be our 100th day of school. Please still bring your 100-word poster project to school on Thursday the 21st.
There will be no homework packet this week. I left the spelling homework in your children’s folders. There are no new spelling words this week due to the short week. They did not take the test today. They will take the test next Friday the 22nd.
Please continue to read every day and use the resources below to review this past week’s spelling list and math concepts.
-Label spelling words: noun, verb, adjective
-Color code the sorts on the poem page attached to homework
-Write sentences with two spelling words in them- bonus for three words in a sentence!
-Hunt for words in any book that have your spelling sort pattern
– Use reading activity resources listed here Reading Resources
-Read a good fit book 15 minutes a day!
– Make flash cards of addition and subtraction math facts 0-10
– Roll dice or flip playing cards and add them numbers then list the complete fact family
-Ms. Gudaitis’ math resources: https://math.st-johnschool.org/important-links/
Questions to Ask
– How many doubles can you name?
-What did you do for art this week?
– What did you learn about St. Valentine?
– Make up days for Star Dolphins next week for Angelina (2) and Sam (1).
-Phoebe will be Star Dolphin on the week of February 25.
– No school Friday, 2/15 – Tuesday, 2/19 for faculty retreat and mid-winter holiday.
-read first grade words. RF1.3
-use adjectives. L.1.1
-use what I know about phonics to spell new words. L.1.2
-spell first grade words. L.1.2
-sort words into categories. L.1.5
-read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
-read and understand first grade non-fiction. RI.1.10
-tell about the main ideas and details after I listen or read. SL.1.2
-follow rules for discussions, talk with others, and ask questions during discussions. SL.1.1
-speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
-revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– compare two-digit numbers using <, >, and =. 1.NBT.3
– use manipulatives, pictures, and math strategies to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5