What an amazing week! I hope you had a chance to enjoy our first snow day of the year. First graders began studying pond habitats in science. On Wednesday the students attended Mass with their 8th grade buddies. They did a beautiful job! In math, students continued learning about place value. First graders eagerly shared their musical instruments and described how they build the creations. We could start a band! Check out Mrs. Tsagalakis website for pictures. Musical Instruments Link
Thank you Shelly Kay for visiting the classroom to talk about your job as an accountant for Amazon. The students enjoyed your presentation and had lots of questions!
Thank you to Jen, Anastasia, and Amy for a great art lesson! The student made beautiful winter snow hats.
Grandparents’ and Friends’ Day
Grandparents’ and Friends’ Day is Thursday, March 16th. Lunch begins at 11:00 in Egan Hall. Cookies, coffee, tea, and water will be provided. Students are to provide a sack lunch for themselves and their special guest. Families are asked to RSVP and please limit guests to no more than 4 in consideration of others. Please tell your special guests that TEACHERS will walk students back to their classrooms after the luncheon. Do not escort your child back across the street! Teachers will take care of getting them safely back to class. Please let me know if your child does not have a family member or special friend coming so I can pair him/her up with a classmate.
Field Trip Note: Friday, March 3rd is our field trip to the Pacific Science Center. Please DO NOT order hot lunch for that day. Permission slips will come home next week.
Questions to Ask
– How many tens are in 97? How many ones?
– What did we make in art this week?
– What are the four levels of the pond? What are bacteria? Crayfish?
– Star Dolphin for the week of February 13 is Maggie (plus February 22). Lucas will make up days on February 23-24. Julia will be Star Dolphin the week of February 27.
– Valentines due Monday, 2/13
– Noon dismissal Thursday, 2/16
– No school Friday, 2/17 – Tuesday, 2/21 for faculty retreat and winter holiday.
– Grandparents’ & Friends’ Day Thursday, March 16th.
-read first grade words. RF1.3
-use adjectives. L.1.1
-use what I know about phonics to spell new words. L.1.2
-spell first grade words. L.1.2
-sort words into categories. L.1.5
-read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
-read and understand first grade non-fiction. RI.1.10
-tell about the main ideas and details after I listen or read. SL.1.2
-follow rules for discussions, talk with others, and ask questions during discussions. SL.1.1
-speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
-revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– count to 120. 1.NBT.1
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– compare two-digit numbers using <, >, and =. 1.NBT.3
– use manipulatives, pictures, and math strategies to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5