This week students continued learning subtraction strategies, made holy cards for St. Nicholas and listened and wrote about Christmas Around the World. Students learned about Christmas customs and even made ornaments to represent the different places they studied. On Wednesday, first graders put their shoes outside in hopes that St. Nicholas would make a stop by St. John School. They were excited to find little candy canes! On Thursday, Mrs. Caneday led a wonderful art lesson where the students made colorful trees that looked like stained glass. We celebrated the Immaculate Conception at a beautiful Mass Friday morning and primary students prayed together every morning. After Mass Mrs. O’Leary shared with us about Christmas traditions in her home country Ireland. Thank you for sharing Mrs. O’Leary!
The First Grade International Christmas Luncheon is set for Monday the 18th! Please bring your food (labeled with name of dish and country) to the classroom by 10:30. If your child has any allergies, please bring a special dish for him/her. If your dish is: peanut free, palm oil free, coconut free, and pumpkin free, please put a note on your dish. We will eat our special lunch in Miss Feeney’s room and the food will be set out in Mrs. Peoples’ room. We would like the parents who volunteered to set up to come to the classroom by 10:15. This is a big undertaking and we appreciate all of your help to make it possible! This lunch will take the place of regular lunch/hot lunch of the day. Please still send a separate snack for later in the day.
First and second graders will perform on Thursday, December 14th at 7:00pm in Egan Hall. We will meet in the classroom between 6:40 – 6:50 pm. Please do not drop your child off before 6:40 p.m. teachers will not be there to supervise. If you are late (arriving after 6:50) please meet us in Egan Hall. The first graders take the stage first, followed by the second grade performance of the Nativity story. Your child will be directed to come sit with you following the first grade concert. You are welcome and encouraged to stay for the second grade performance.
Please notify me if you know your child will be absent during any of the days before Christmas break. We have lots of Christmas activities, gifts, and celebrations and I want to plan accordingly to make sure as many students as possible are included. Thanks!
Questions to Ask
– Can you sing me a song for your concert?
-What math operation do you use to find the “difference”?
– What can you tell me about Christmas in Germany? Peru? Denmark? The Netherlands? Ireland?
– Star Dolphin for the week of December 11 is Stella.
– Christmas Concert Thursday, December 14th.
– Christmas Luncheon Monday, December 18th
– Noon dismissal Wednesday, December 20th.
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– help my class write. W.1.7
– revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– publish my writing. W.1.6
– understand how words in a story can tell about feelings and the senses. RL.1.4
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– subtract facts within 20. 1.OA.6
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
-tell about people, places, and things. SL.1.4
-engage in discussions to learn about how families live around the world. 5.3.1
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.