First Grade Dolphin News
We are about to begin our final school week of December and students have completed almost four months of first grade! I hope you enjoyed this week’s Christmas concert, the students sang like angels and performed their best. We are also wrapping up learning about 20 countries in our Christmas Around The World Unit. We will be ready to celebrate all these cultures next week at our International Christmas Luncheon!
Please notify me if you know your child will be absent during any of the days before Christmas break. We have lots of Christmas activities, gifts, and celebrations and I want to plan accordingly to make sure as many students as possible are included. Thanks!
Christmas Luncheon on Thursday- Free Dress of Christmas Best
Please bring your food (labeled with name of dish and country) to the classroom by 10:30. We will have outlets available if you need to keep something warm in your crockpot. If your child has any allergies, please bring a special dish for him/her. Please label “Contains Nuts” if your dish does so. We will eat our special lunch in Mrs. Jessup’s room and the food will be set out in Mrs. Peoples’ room. We would like the parents who volunteered to set up to come to the classroom by 10:15. This is a big undertaking and we appreciate all of your help to make it possible! This lunch will take the place of regular lunch/hot lunch of the day. Please still send a separate snack for later in the day.
Please remember to sign and return the yellow copy in its envelope by Friday, December 21st. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s grades feel free to reach out to me.
Christmas Read In
We will be having a “Christmas Read In” next Friday the 21st. Have your child bring their favorite Christmas books (please label with your name) and their favorite stuffed animals for a special cozy Christmas reading time before break!
Go With the Flow Jellyfish
The first graders worked really hard taking care of themselves and not being bossy that they all get to bring their jellyfish home! Great job!
Questions to Ask
– How can you show generosity during this time of year? Patience?
– What can you tell me about Christmas in Ireland? Mexico? Japan?
– Star Dolphin for the week of December 17 is Peter
– Christmas Luncheon Thursday, December 20th
– Noon dismissal Friday, December 21st
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– help my class write. W.1.7
– revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– publish my writing. W.1.6
– understand how words in a story can tell about feelings and the senses. RL.1.4
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
-tell about people, places, and things. SL.1.4
-engage in discussions to learn about how families live around the world. 5.3.1
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.