Our Christmas Around the World study is in full swing. Students learned about Christmas traditions in Great Britain, Australia, Italy, Greece, and Portugal. We completed our math unit on place value. Next week we will begin our unit on subtraction strategies.
Beginning Monday, December 4th the entire school will gather for Advent morning prayer every Monday in the church at 8:20. First graders will head straight to the church at 8:15. Please do your best to be on time. If you are late, please come directly to the church. We will be sitting in the front on the right hand side facing the altar if you need to meet us there.
Tuesdays-Fridays we will meet in the Kindergarten classrooms for morning Advent prayer. If you are signed up to volunteer at any of these times please keep in mind where we will be and you are more than welcome to join us in prayer before you begin volunteering. Thank you!
International Christmas Luncheon
Please return completed forms by Friday, December 8th. Mrs. Peoples and I will review the forms, see what we need to buy to round out the list, and send home a confirmation next Monday, December 11th. Thank you in advance for your contributions! Also, a huge “thank you” to our volunteers! If you are able to attend on December 18th, please visit the signup on my website. Many hands make light work! 🙂
In reviewing report cards, remember that these are goals for the end of year. If they are progressing (P), it means they are on their way to meeting the standard (M) or benchmark. If your child is meeting a standard, please continue practicing as the year progresses. In spelling, our goal is for students to memorize specific patterns, rather than simply the list of words. Please keep spelling sorts at home after completing for homework. This will give you and your child an opportunity to review (make sentences, stories, etc.) and continue to use the words. Please sign and return a copy of the report card in the report card envelope as soon as possible. Please contact me with any questions you have!
Your child is bringing their Religion Journals today. They are green to represent Ordinary Time in the Church Season. Please review what they learned about in Religion the last few months! We are now in Advent Season so the students have purple Religion journals.
Questions to Ask
– What do these signs mean? > < = (give examples)
– What can you tell me about Christmas in Australia? Great Britain? Italy?
– Star Dolphin for the week of December 4 is Maddy.
– Dress uniform Friday, December 8th for Mass at 9:00 a.m.
– Christmas Luncheon Monday, December 18th.
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– help my class write. W.1.7
– revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– publish my writing. W.1.6
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– understand how words in a story can tell about feelings and the senses. RL.1.4
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– subtract facts within 20. 1.OA.6
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.
1st and 2nd GRADE CHRISTMAS CONCERT, Thursday, December 14TH.
Drop off your children to their classrooms (not Egan Hall) between 6:40-6:50 PM.
Performance begins at 7:00 p.m. in Egan Hall.