First Grade Dolphin News
It was a great week in first grade! The students started spelling groups this week and settled in to the format of the spelling instruction. In Math this week, first graders learned how to add both side to side (horizontal equations) as well as up and down (vertical equations). They practiced adding using dominoes! In Religion, they learned about how to be a follower of Jesus and that ALL THINGS are possible with God. They also learned about St. Mother Teresa and made their first saint prayer cards. The class has also been working towards displaying this month’s fruit of the Holy Spirit, which is Kindness. Students can earn a fruit on our Kindness Tree in the primary hallway. The class also learned listening skills as well as skills to use to focus from the Second Step curriculum. Next week, they will write dolphin facts that they have learned the past few weeks. Today was their first spelling test and students gave their best effort! All tests will be sent home the following Friday in your child’s folder.
Reminders for every day:
Please send a water bottle with your child every day!
Please send in your child’s daily folder every day!
Please send in a snack for your child every day!
Please send a coat or jacket every day!
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the Jog-a-Thon! It looks like we are in the running for the silly string show down! Our class won the most laps in primary and earned a movie and popcorn party! Keep those pledges coming!
Field Trip – Chaperone Request
Please let me know via email if you are interested in chaperoning/driving on our Field Trip on Friday, November 15th for our field trip to the Seattle Art Museum. We are still in need of several more drivers/chaperones! Thank you to parents who have offered to help out.
We will be doing MAP testing on Monday, Oct. 7th and Wednesday, Oct. 9th. We want everyone to put forth their best effort, so please make sure your child gets a good night sleep and a healthy breakfast
On Wednesday, October 16th we will have the Fulcrum Foundation visit our school. We will have a school mass at 9:00am. Please make sure your child is in dress uniform!
Questions to Ask
– What is the sum in an addition problem?
-How can you praise God this weekend?
-What are some listening rules we learned from our friend Snail?
Did you know?
Any adventure or activity that invites exploration, discovery, asking questions, sharing thoughts, and explaining what they know will engage six-year-olds.
– Star Dolphin for the week of September 30th is Tyger
– Dress uniform Wednesday 10/16 for Mass
-Please send in emergency kits for your child ASAP, thank you!
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.