First Grade Dolphin News
This week students learned about heredity and how offspring (plants, animals, and humans) are like, but not exactly like their parents. They also talked about other kinds of families – families where dads carry babies by reading Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle and learned about offspring names in Does Kangaroo Have a Mother? By Eric Carle.
Students spent time reviewing place value and the Thanksgiving story’s place within the past, present, and future. The first graders learned how God’s grace helps them make good choices. They made a bag full of the fruits of the Holy Spirit that they prayed for!
Beginning this Monday, December 3rd the entire school will gather for Advent morning prayer every Monday in the church at 8:20. First graders will head straight to the church at 8:15. Please do your best to be on time. If you are late, please come directly to the church. We will be sitting in the front on the right hand side facing the altar if you need to meet us there.
Tuesdays-Fridays we will meet in the 2nd grade classrooms for morning Advent prayer. If you are signed up to volunteer at any of these times please keep in mind where we will be and you are more than welcome to join us in prayer before you begin volunteering. Thank you!
Christmas Around the World
On Thursday, December 20th, first graders will celebrate learning about Christmas around the world with an international luncheon. Each family is asked to participate either by making a dish from a special country or donating supplies and/or your time. A sign up will be sent out next week.
Primary Advent Service Opportunity
New Toy Drive for Foster Kids
The Kim family is collecting new toys for Treehouse, a local nonprofit, dedicated to closing the achievement gap between youth in foster care and their peers. Please consider donating a new toy starting November 16th and ending Dec. 10. The Kim family will be delivering the toys December 12th. Thank you!
-Class Mass was rescheduled to this Wednesday, December 5th at 8:30am.
-Remember Dress Uniform on Friday, December 7th for Immaculate Conception Mass
-Christmas Concert is Thursday, December 13th at 7:00pm
-Star Dolphin for the week of December 3rd is Harper.
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– help my class write. W.1.7
– revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– publish my writing. W.1.6
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– understand how words in a story can tell about feelings and the senses. RL.1.4
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– subtract facts within 20. 1.OA.6
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.