First Grade Dolphin News
It was a great week in first grade! We started spelling groups this week and settled in to the format of our spelling instruction. In Religion, we learned about how to be a follower of Jesus and that ALL THINGS are possible with God. We finished our dolphin unit this week. Students painted amazing dolphins and wrote interesting facts. They are now officially Dolphin Experts! Today was our first spelling test and students gave their best effort! All tests will be sent home the following Friday in your child’s folder.
Reminders for every day:
Please send a water bottle with your child every day!
Please send in your child’s daily folder every day!
Please send in a snack for your child every day!
Be an angel!
On October 2, we will celebrate our guardian angels. Be an angel and bring food for those in need. Our St. Vincent de Paul food bank is empty! We need angels to bring items such as cereal, pasta, crackers, and tuna to school. Please bring something on Tuesday. Thank you!
Field Trip – Chaperone Request
Please let me know via email if you are interested in chaperoning/driving on our Field Trip on Friday, November 16th for our field trip to the Seattle Art Museum. We are still in need of several more drivers/chaperones! Thank you to parents who have offered to help out. J
We will be doing MAP testing on Tuesday and Thursday. We want everyone to put forth their best effort, so please make sure your child gets a good night sleep and a healthy breakfast!
On Wednesday, October 10th we will celebrate St. Francis at our first all school liturgy. First graders are in charge of leading mass with their eighth grade buddies. You are welcome to join us in the church at 9:00 a.m. Please make sure your child is in dress uniform!
Questions to Ask
– What is a way to make 8?
-How can you praise God this weekend?
-Name a fact about dolphins.
– Star Dolphin for the week of October 1st is Rafael
– Dress uniform Wednesday 10/10 for Mass
– No school 10/22 and 10/29 for Conferences
-Please send in emergency kits for your child ASAP, thank you!
-We will start Parent Volunteers after MAP testing. Sign up is coming soon!
– print my uppercase and lowercase letters. L.1.1
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– use context clues to help me understand a new word or words. L.1.4
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– write to tell a story. W.1.3
– help my class write. W.1.7
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– use strategies to solve addition word problems. 1.OA.1
– use the commutative property of addition. 1.OA.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– add facts within 20. 1.OA.5
– know what an equal sign means. 1.OA.7
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.