Advent is in full swing and first graders are busy studying Christmas Around the World. Students learned about Christmas traditions in Great Britain, Australia, Lebanon, Hungary, Jamaica, Kenya, and Ireland this week. Thank you Mrs. O’Leary for coming to share about Christmas in your home country!
International Christmas Luncheon
Please return completed forms by Monday, December 5th. Mrs. Todd and I will review the forms, see what we need to buy to round out the list, and send home a confirmation next Friday, December 9th. Thank you in advance for your contributions! Also, a huge thank you to our volunteers! If you are able to attend on December 15th, please visit the signup on my website. Many hands make light work! 🙂
In reviewing report cards, remember that these are goals for the end of year. If they are progressing (P), it means they are on their way to meeting the standard (M) or benchmark. If your child is meeting a standard, please continue practicing as the year progresses. In spelling, our goal is for students to memorize specific patterns, rather than simply the list of words. Please keep spelling sorts at home after completing for homework. This will give you and your child an opportunity to review (make sentences, stories, etc.) and continue to use the words. Please sign and return the YELLOW copy of the report card and the report card envelope as soon as possible.
Handwriting Without Tears printing practice books will come home today. The students have practiced their printing during our library time (along with checking out books) the last few months. If your child received a P in forming letters correctly on his/her report card, please review the letters in the printing book. You are welcome to keep these books at home and complete them as needed. These books are a great resource to work on letter formation and/or using lines and spaces correctly.
Your child is bringing their Religion Journals today. They are green to represent Ordinary Time in the Church Season. Please review what they learned about in Religion the last few months! We are now in Advent Season so the students have purple Religion journals.
Questions to Ask
– What color are the candles on the Advent wreath?
– What can you tell me about Christmas in Australia? Great Britain? Ireland?
– Star Dolphin for the week of December 5 is Caleb.
– Dress uniform Thursday, December 8th for Mass at 9:00 a.m.
– Christmas Luncheon Thursday, December 15th.
– punctuate sentences. L.1.2
– spell first grade words. L.1.2
– sort words into categories and tell why they belong there. L.1.5
– follow rules for discussions and talk with others. SL.1.1
– speak and write in complete sentences. SL.1.6
– help my class write. W.1.7
– revise and edit my writing. W.1.5
– publish my writing. W.1.6
– tell who, what, when, where, why and how after reading. RL.1.1
– tell the characters, setting, and what happens in a story. RL.1.3
– understand how words in a story can tell about feelings and the senses. RL.1.4
– use words and pictures to help me tell about the characters, setting, and plot. RL.1.7
– read and understand first grade fiction. RL.1.10
– tell the number of syllables in words. RF.1.2
– use digraphs and vowel pairs to help me read. RF.1.3
– count to help me add and subtract. 1.OA.5
– subtract facts within 20. 1.OA.6
– tell how many tens and how many ones are in a number. 1.NBT.2
– use manipulatives and pictures to help me solve problems within 100. 1.NBT.4
– find 10 more or 10 less in my head. 1.NBT.5
– We are Christ-centered people.
– We are active learners.
– We are empowered disciples.
1st and 2nd GRADE CHRISTMAS CONCERT, Tuesday, December 13TH.
Drop off your children to their classrooms (not Egan Hall) between 6:40-6:50 PM.
Performance begins at 7:00 p.m. in Egan Hall.